Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finders Keepers Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2001
US
We still use Act 4.0, and we need an alternative to Finders Keepers. That is a 3rd party program that will search multiple databases for contact names. We will be upgrading to ACT2000 soon, so we need something that works for either/both.

ANY idead would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello MikeT,
Check out and look for ACT! Add-Ins or check out and once again look for ACT! Add-Ins.

The first site is ACT!'s homepage the second is a site developed by Jeffery Mayers.

Question?
Why are you using multiple databases? By having the same contact across multiple databases you run the risk of forgetting to update one of them. Instead why not consolidate all the contacts into one database and then use "Groups" to further organize your contacts as needed. ACT! 2000 allows you to have Subgroups of Main Groups.

Good Luck,
MO

I work in a real estate business. When a potential customer calls in, we have to make sure they don't already 'belong' to another agent in the office. If the caller is calling for the first time, the angent answering the phone puts the callers info into his/her database, and that caller is considered 'taken'.
So, we use Finders to prevent duplicate records. I was evaluating a trial version of ACT 2000, and preliminary tests show taht Finders does work w/ it, as long as it is not on 'Fast Lookup' mode.
I'll check those sites out though, thanks for the post.

Ok I ended up finding out how to access the database from a web page, so now a simple web page does what finders keepers did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back