Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

find who has what ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbtech

MIS
Mar 8, 2003
US
hello,

i wanted to know if i can get a list or history of who had what ip address during a certain week. the dhcp server is coming from netopia router. where can i find a list of ip address? is there a list cached on a local machine that i can look at?

thanks
tmbtech.

Are you using Microsoft Windows Server utilities and snap-ins with the Microsoft Management Console and have the DHCP Service running? If thats your setup; right click and goto properties for the service; and on the General tab, select Enable DHCP audit logging, and then click OK. If it was already enabled; then you can retrieve your logs. But naturally, the MS Event Log would show any IP requests for the incoming and outgoing translations (assigning IP's to nodes based on the metric you chose-- mask ID, VLAN ID, etc. etc, and it would naturally show the UNC name of the machine that it was sent to (not just the IP). Goto start, Run..., and type 'eventvwr.msc' without the quotes to bring up your event log.

~Savoy Blue/Merlin~

*ahem*

But for a Netopia router (which applies in this case) unless you've specifically turned on some logging feature, the answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back