Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find the diffs between to Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

JONBOY74

Technical User
Sep 11, 2001
US
Hi all

I have 2 queries, they both have the same amount of fields (Field A has the products name, and field 2 has the sum total of products bought). The data for each of these tables comes from different sources.

Here's my problem I want to be able to take the results of 2 queries and find any differences in the data.

eg

QRY 1 QRY2 Diff
Product Amount Product Amount
Cars 50 Cars 20 30

I've tried the following:

SELECT QRY1.Amount-QRY2.Amount AS Diffs, QRY1.PRODUCT
FROM QRY1, QRY2
WHERE QRY1.Product=QRY2.Product;

This works, but if one of the products doesn't show on a table, then it doesn't select the product at all. What I need is for the diff to show.

Does this make any sense & can anyone help me

Thanks

JON

If it is possible for a value(join key) in table1 to not be in table2 and for a value in table2 to not be in table1, then you will probably need to do both a left and right outer join.

This will introduce another problem. If table1 has a value and table2 does not then the values in table2 will be null. You cannot perform the difference operation on a null column. This is resolved by the isnull(yourname,a default).
i.e. isnull(Amount,0).

'---An example of outer joins on the pubs database.
USE pubs
SELECT a.au_fname, a.au_lname, p.pub_name
FROM authors
AS a RIGHT OUTER JOIN publishers AS p
ON a.city = p.city
LEFT OUTER JOIN publishers AS z
ON a.city = z.city
ORDER BY p.pub_name ASC, a.au_lname ASC, a.au_fname ASC

Hopefully this example can be a guide for your requirements. This will get both sides where values can exist in one table but not the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back