Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find text within a cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcVeigh

Instructor
Mar 27, 2003
US
I have a list of last names that I need to find within a range on a different worksheet to see if those people also filled out a form. The people that filled out the form have their name listed on a different worksheet in the spreadsheet in one column.

I tried using VLOOKUP, but with no luck.
Basically, I need to see if the last names that appear on one tab exist in the other tab as well because they should all be doing this 2 step process and the only way to tell is if their last names are in both tabs.
We are talking over a thousand names, so manually doing this is insane...
Any help is appreciated - new to the LOOKUP functions...so forgive me if this is simple to some...

Thanks in advance....

I've never used the lookup function so I can't help you there but a workaround might be for you to import both worksheets into Access and join them and run a query to see who is on both sheets and who isn't.

That's what usually do. It's easier for me. Hope it helps.

There are thousands of names and you don't have two different people named 'Smith' or 'Jones'?

You should be using an ID number instead of just last name. Even if you haven't run across that problem yet, you will one day.

That having been said -
you can use the Match function to see if the same last name (or ID number, for that matter) exists in another sheet.

Let's say your names are on Sheet1 in column A and you want to check against names on Sheet2 column A.
[tab][COLOR=blue white]=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"No Match","")[/color]

The logic is as follows:
The ISNA captures the error that is returned when a match is NOT found. When that happens, you will see "No Match" in the cell. Otherwise a match was found and then the cell will appear blank.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back