Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find permissions failure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

piemaster

Technical User
Aug 4, 2003
GB
In 1 file system on an AIX 4.3.3 box, the users whose home directories are in this filesystem cannot use "find". "ls" works fine, but find fails with
"pwd: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action."
Any ideas?

Please post a sample of an ls -al in the home directory as well as an ls -ld of the home directory.

hi,
would be better if you provided full command.
However, the find command is recursive: it enters in subdirectory and probably in one of fhis, user cannot access

find .
enters recursively from current path, until ends while

ls *
remain at 1st level

To avoid that, errors of find merge together output give

find / -name "xyz" 2>/dev/null
or
find / -name "xyz" 2>/tmp/errors

bye

Sorry, did not make myself clear. find just does not work under these users. It always comes up with the message as shown in question. It does not work on the home directory or any other directory/file system.
Thus: find /tmp -print of find /usr -print
gives:
pwd: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.

whereas ls -l or ls -lR gives the expected results, finding those files/directories to which it has access permissions.

Yes. ls will allow you to see a listing of a file you do not have read, write, or execute permissions to.

But find won't. That is why I asked you to post a full listing as an example. Maybe their umask isn't setting permissions correctly for files they create in their home directories?

did this start after you changed some permissions of the underlying directory? meaning, you umount /home, change permissions on /home, then mount /home again? we had a case where find did not work, although most other stuff did, and it turned out that we had restrictive permissions on the directory on which the fs was mounted. these are not visible when the fs is mounted.

IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Thanks.I think you have something there. It could be changed permissions on a mount point, possibly caused by a crash. I cannot unmount it at present, so must wait for an opportunity to take down the application on this box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back