Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

find part of a record Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis33

Programmer
Nov 20, 2000
US
I have a combo box that finds the record that I type in
this is the code I placed in the after update event

dim rs as object
set rs = me.recordset.clone
rs.findfirst "[Item number] = ' "&me! [combo2]& "'"
me.bookmark = rs.bookmark

This code works fine but I want to be able to type in part of the string and have it display alist of records that have
this substring in it.

can someone please help.

Thank You,

Travis

Hi Travis,
Quick question: is Item Number a string? I'm going to assume it's a number, and there's another string which you'd like to search against, which I'll call "Item String".

Assuming the substring is typed in a textbox called.. oh.. "txtSearch", and the results go in a listbox called "lstSearchResults", the following should work:

Set the control source to a query, with the following SQL (paraphrased):
SELECT [whatever]
FROM [whatever]
WHERE [Item String] LIKE "*" & Forms!FormName![txtSearch] & "*"

In the form (called frmFormName in the example above), place the following code:

txtSearch_AfterUpdate()
lstSearchResults.Requery
end sub

lstSearchResults_DoubleClick
if lstSearchResults.ItemsSelected.Count > 0 Then
dim rs as object
set rs = me.recordset.clone
rs.findfirst "[Item number] = ' "& _
me! [lstSearchResults]& "'"
me.bookmark = rs.bookmark
end if
end sub

This will update the listbox to the search results whenever the search string is changed, and it will go to the record selected in the listbox (make sure the bound field in the listbox is [Item Number] in the above example) when the user double-clicks an item in the list.

Note the use of the operator "Like" in the SQL. This is the key searching for substrings.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Katie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back