Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIND only related child results

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty1452

Technical User
Jun 11, 2002
US
Sorry for the re-post.

JeanW gave me some advice and I wasn't able to implement it. This is likely do to brain freeze more than bad advise. Here's me problem again.

I have a related database that limits the child files to only related files of the parent file. When I do a FIND in the child file, the results return any file that qualify to the FIND, not just related files.

How can I perform a relational FIND?

The find is being performed in the child file. The relation begins with a login to identify the valid user. Then I want that user to be the only user to see their files.

Thanks

Bob

I tried putting the fields in a parent-child related portal thus limiting the records to only those I want, but this did not work either. I still found files that did not belong to the parent. I've triple check my relationships and I don't see where I could be going wrong regarding the relationships. It's Parent ID in the parent file to f_Parent ID in the child file. I've verified the f_Parent ID numbers and the non-related files have a different ID then those of the related files, (as opposed to eroneous data that matches by accident).

I also set a global ID field in the child. Paste the Parent ID there on the way into the child file. Set up my relationsip to this global Parent ID and used a self relationship from the g_Parent ID to the f_Parent ID, both in the child file. I thought this would always maintain relationship integrity. But it doesn't!

Any ideas??

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back