Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find numbers missing in sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsm1993

Programmer
Sep 18, 2008
US
I have a table that I automatically assign certification numbers based on those assigned (for example 1240000-1241500). Occasionally a number will get skipped or deleted and I need to be able to find those numbers that are skipped. The only field I need to look at are tblIndCertification.Cert#. I am sure this is easy, but I have stumped myself (probably by overthinking). Can someone please help me either through query or code find a way to print a list of those numbers skipped.

Thanks a ton.

For a query you could just compare the field to a table containing all of the numbers in the range and see which don't appear.

Hope this helps

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Black coat, white shoes, black hat, cadillac. The boy's a timebomb!

You can hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around, or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters. - Eric Cartman

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244: How to get the best answers before post

You could loop thru a recordset and check for value = old value + 1. If not equal, print new value and increment old value by 1 for the next iteration.

Cogito eggo sum – I think, therefore I am a waffle.

As Genomon stated. Something like.

Code:
Public Sub findMissingSequence(expr As String, domain As String)
  Dim maxVal As Integer
  Dim minVal As Integer
  Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
  maxVal = DMax(expr, domain)
  minVal = DMin(expr, domain)

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(domain, dbOpenDynaset)
  Do While minVal < maxVal - 1
    rs.FindFirst expr & " = " & minVal + 1
    If rs.NoMatch Then
      Debug.Print minVal + 1
    End If
     minVal = minVal + 1
  Loop
End Sub

Public Sub test()
  findMissingSequence "intValue", "tblSequence"
End Sub

Status