Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

find in files has gone slow in .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajidi99

Programmer
Jun 7, 2005
SE
Hello all,

(CTL + F)

I have noticed in my VS.NET 2005, the "Find in All Solution" function has gone really slow for past few days.

What can be wrong?

Cheers

Ch Saj

That's actually a question you would have the answer to. Look at the results..There's a "Total files searched: ???". If you're searching through hundreds and hundreds of files, then it'll take a while. Also, look if you have any 5 million line files.

Hello macleod1021,

I don't think that anything like this would slow down the search because other developers are using search on same amount of code and on similar type of PC specs and their search is faster than mine.

Also I just started experiencing this problem couple of days back. Before a week or so, it was lightening fast!

Cheers

Ch Saj

Well...if others are searching with no problem, then check for recent updates. Your computer may have updated a process that others did not. If you're not sure, try rolling back your computer with System Restore and see if that helps.

make sure your searching only code files (*.cs; etc)

I had a web project that had about 30,000 product images in a subfolder. I searched the entire solution for some code, and because it was set to search all files (*.*) it attempted to copy all the images into the local cache to search them. Needless to say had i left it alone it would have taken a long time, and probably errored out when the HD on my laptop filled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back