Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find file in win98 CAB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopHat2

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
GB
OK so I'm thick.

I need to extract "Msnetmtg.inf" from a "cab" file on the win98 installation disk. How do I find which cab file it's in?

I have read the MS Knowledge Base pages on this topic ("Unable to Install Microsoft NetMeeting 3.0", and "How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"), and am now in urgent need of psychiatric counselling, as I understand even less than I did before I started reading.

Why can't they just tell me WICH cab file it's in??? Do I have to search each individual cab file? The answer is probably simple, but not the way MS explains it! Sorry for waffeling on. Any help pricated.

Les.

There is a list on the MS website for what is contained in each CAB file. I will find it and let you know. (Unless someone else already knows) James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Try this. This should help you! Instead of Win95_*.cab replace the 95 with 98. Its is article ID: Q129605

Finding Windows Files
Finding a Single File:

You can use the Extract tool to determine which cabinet file contains a particular Windows file. When you use this syntax, the Extract tool searches the cabinet files but does not extract the file once it is found:

extract /a /d <cabinet> <filename>

For example, to find the Windows 95 Unidrv.dll file, starting with the Win95_02.cab file, using disks in the A drive, use the following command:

extract /a /d a:\win95_02.cab unidrv.dll

Finding Multiple Files:

To find multiple files, use the same syntax as above, but use a wildcard designation for the <filename> parameter. For example, to find all the Windows 95 files with a .txt extension using disks in the A drive, use the following command:

extract /a /d a:\win95_02.cab *.txt
James Collins
A+, MCP

Use the System File Checker (sfc in the run box). The extraction utility is quite good and will usually find the file even if you don't know exactly where it is.

Hope this helps

tkral

butchrecon, the problem is I don't know WHICH cab it's in, there are a lot of cab's on the Win98 install disk. Am I misumnderstanding something here? Probably :(

tkral, I've tried renaming &quot;Msnetmtg.inf&quot; but System File Checker don't pick it up, guess it's not in its data base

Thanks all, TopHat2.

The file is in the precopy2.cab for Win98 and 98SE. Hope this helps your search James Collins
A+, MCP

Did this help your problem? James Collins
A+, MCP

Thanks butchrecon, your post solved my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back