Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find Email files

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewarlock

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
I had a PC I just got rid of and I had done a backup first. Now I'm looking for the Email files that where on the PC. anyone know where I can find them. I restored the backup file to a directoy on the same external HD that I did the backup to.

Are you looking for Outlook files? Click Start >Search >search for files and folders >type *.pst >change the 'Look in' box to the location where you restored the files to and then click Search.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

For Outlook Express they are .dbx files, stored under:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{random string of number letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

To see this you must first, in Explorer, go to Tools->Folder Options->View->Show Hidden Files & Folders

Contacts are sometimes stores as .wab files

If you backed up your user profile they will be there. If you just backed up My Documents...doubtful

II was able to restore the archive.pst dated 4/6/2007. but I need the outlook.pst dated the day I did the backup 7/6/2007

I was using outlook 2003

Look for *.ost, *.wab, *.dbx files. How exactly did you back it up? Was it POP3 email?

I can find outlook.ost dated the day I did the backup.

I backed it up using the backup program in XP, I backedup the whole PC to an external HD.

I tried making a copy of outlook.ost and renamed it outlook.pst, but outlook wouldn't open then.

If you used NTbackup, Start, Run, ntbackup, Recovery Wizard, Restore Specific files or he like, point to the Backup.bkf file and locate the Outlook.ost file. If you used NTBackup you've got it!

Look here for more details, in the Restore wizard you would expand C: to point to the outlook.ost file:

Tony

wahnula I looked at your post, but i didn't see anything that would help me restore the outlook.ost to a pst file. Is there any way to convert a ost to a pst?

this was a backup of a laptop I no longer have to an external HD. I used my desktop to restore the backup on the external HD to a Directory called laptop restore on the same external HD. I can see all the files that were on the laptop.

Your not kidding about it being expensive. I found 1 that if you send them the OST file, they will convert it to PST format for $15.

Hmmm...$15 for a one-time use vs. 3X to own the software, tough call. I'd probably go with the software purchase just to have it on hand for future use. But that's me, I like to buy stuff...plus I'd feel better about my personal info staying on my PC. Once it leaves your home you have no control over it. Search some more...I found one for $40 on , there are probably others.

Tony

Boy what ever happened to all the Freeware sites that there used to be?

Boy what ever happened to all the Freeware sites that there used to be?

They were all bought by Microsoft, Google, or Yahoo!...

Hey, I don't work for free, I have no problem paying for someone else's work, I even donate to this site occasionally, as it has saved me thou$ands on tech visits. While I am very grateful for all the free apps still out there, sometimes a paid solution is best, as at least then you have support (maybe).

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back