Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find duplicate references 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpreston

MIS
Mar 4, 2015
GB
Hi

I am trying to find duplicate references in a table but keep getting NULL values returned. I am using the code below.
The customerref keeps coming in as a null. In the field there may be various characters numbers and letters.

Couls someone advise how I can adapt the code so it shows the customeref entrys. Thanks

[link sql]
select ordernumber,customerref, count(1) as CNT
from orderheader
group by customerref,OrderNumber
HAVING (count(1) > 1) Link[/url]

If you are returning rows that contain a null value, then there must be nulls in the database.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

What's the result? If you only have rows with NULL in customerref, you have no double customerref value. If you try to establish a unique index, you still can't have one when NULLs appear multiple times.
That hints on a normalizsation problem.

Bye, Olaf.

What I am trying to get to is to list all that have duplicate customerref numbers.

If I run the query without the Having clause, then it returns everything including Null values, because it is looking at every entry of course that appears once.

If I run the clause with the Having, then it only displays customerref with NULL results in.

Then you have no double (or triple etc) Ordernumber, customerref combination.

If you look for double customerref independent of Ordernumber, then simply remove that from the field list and grouping.

I just bet once you do so you get almost all customerref values.

Bye, Olaf.

Yes you are correct, so therefore how do I get to see the ordernumber also please.

Afterward, not within the same query. Or differently formulated, using the customerref values from the simpler group by as your starting point named "Link", you finally inner join orderheaders to "Link":

Code:
With Link as(
select customerref
from orderheader
group by customerref
HAVING count(*) > 1) 

Select orderheader.* from Link inner join orderheader on orderheader.customerref = link.customerref ORDER BY orderheader.customerref, orderheader.ordernumber

Bye, Olaf.

That is perfect thank you for your help and advice

Just a few more hints:

[tt]Select * FROM Links[/tt] is your list of recurring customers (apart from NULL), you don't have to see with your own eyes in which orders they appear, T-SQL can count. This has to come after the [tt]With Link as...[/tt] part.
[tt]Select * FROM orderheaders WHERE customerref IS NULL[/tt] will list all orders missing a referenced customer. You will have such orders, as you said NULL appears in the results. This query runs standalone.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back