Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find closest location by postal code

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicvirk

Programmer
Feb 4, 2009
CA
I'm in Canada (for those of you unfamiliar with this country, our version of a zip-code is called a postal code)

One of my clients wants to add a feature where a user enters their postal code and then a lookup is done in a business db that finds the closest location to them - I'm sure you (who ever is reading this at this moment in time) has seen this feature on many different websites, but I have absolutely no idea on how to start - don't even know what to google for to find examples...

The site is done in classic ASP and this feature needs to be done in the same - we can use an API to do this, but again I don't know where to start looking...

Currently we just have a drop down list of cities and it shows all the locations in that city, we'd like to narrow it down so the user can find their closest location.

I guess it depends on the postal-code format/logic. In the netherlands it is easy: de format is 1234 AZ. I can search with 1234, 123, 12, and the "circle" becomes larger.

Maybe there is info on the Canadian post website?

I think most solutions work with a table with postal ranges per location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back