Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find broken links

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimFL

Programmer
Jun 17, 2005
GB
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if there is any ASP code or a ASP component that will help me find broken links from within a database application field?

If there is code that will allow me to test a link to see if the web response is active? if not then I could flag those links in my application.

This must be possible one way or another?

Many thanks in advance

JimFl

Look into MSXML component. This could be done on the server before building the page, or it could be done on the client with the browser object XMLHTTPRequest. Dont be put off by the XML names. These components provide connections to web sites as if they were a browser. The client-based method is limited to urls within the same domain I believe. The client-side approach, if you can use it, would allow the web page to be loaded and would check the urls sort of in the background so it would look better to a viewer. The server-side approach will work for any url. It should be installed already as part of .NET, or it can be installed on the server, available from MS at no charge.

Check Wikipedia for an overview of these components and approaches. Google AJAX for the client side and MSXML for the server side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back