Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find average temp for all samples using SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakerboy

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
I have two tables:
sample has three columns; s_id (int), s_start(timestamp), and s_end(timestamp)
temp has two columns; t_timestamp (timestamp), and t_temp (real)

I want to do the following:
for each row in sample, return the s_id and the average temperature from temp between the times s_start and s_end.

I can do a foreach loop in my PHP code (PHPish psudocode follows)
Code:
$value=array()
$sample = "SELECT * FROM sample"
foreach ($sample as $key=>$value){
    $result = "SELECT avg(t_temp) AS ave FROM temp WHERE t_timestamp > $value["s_start"] AND t_timestamp < $value["s_end"]";
    $value[$key]["ave"] = $result["ave"];
}
or I can make a very long query in the same way and use a UNION to join all the cycles through the foreach loop together. However, there has to be a way to make one concise query to handle this, no?

Kevin

SELECT S.s_id, AVG(T.t_temp) AS ave
FROM sample S INNER temp T ON T.t_timestamp BETWEEN S.s_start AND S.s_end
GROUP BY S.s_id

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks!!
This opens up a new window for me. I've never used anything except NATURAL INNER JOINs. I've never even considered anything besides PK, FK joins on equal values, so this will have some broad-reaching consequences in a lot of my projects.

I'll try this in my PostgreSQL database, but a stupid MS-Access test doesn't like the BETWEEN comparator. However, the following equivalent statement does work in Access:
SELECT S.s_id, AVG(T.t_temp) AS ave
FROM sample S INNER JOIN temp T ON (T.t_timestamp > S.s_start AND T.t_timestamp < S.s_end)
GROUP BY s_id

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back