Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find a window's Class-name

Status
Not open for further replies.

seba18

Programmer
Jul 26, 2004
Can I get a window's Class name if I know only the name of the executable file? How?

Or how can I get a window's parameters(Name,Class-name,Exe-name,Subclass-name,Subclass) just clicking with the mouse on that window or dragging the mouse over the window?(for example, Girder do that for selecting the window that get the command from the remote-control)

Thank you for any suggestion!

Can I get a window's Class name if I know only the name of the executable file? How?
Not really -- you can have any number of window classes in an executable.

Or how can I get a window's parameters(Name,Class-name,Exe-name,Subclass-name,Subclass) just clicking with the mouse on that window or dragging the mouse over the window?
There may be some third-party utilities that do this. But I think you'll have to make API calls, given the window's Hwnd value. I would suggest you buy a copy of Petzold's Programming Windows (the C/C++ one, not the C# one).

Chip H.

I know that there is only one Class-name, but many other Sub-Classes, one for every object in a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back