Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find a percentage of a total of counts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erv7

Technical User
Oct 27, 2008
US
I am trying to make a summary-type report where one column shows a count of entities used to make that line. I have a total of all the counts in the report footer line. I want to make a column that shows the percentage of counts relative to the total number of counts. Any suggestions???

You should be referring to group and report sections, not "lines". If you mean you have a count at a group level, and you want a percentage based on the grand total, then use a formula like this:

count({table.entity},{table.groupfield}) % count({table.entity})

Not sure whether you want this to be a distinctcount or not, but edit as necessary.

-LB

Ok, I got this one -- here's another -- when I try to total a column containing a formula which is

sum (calculation)

I get the error message: The summary / running total field cannot be created.

I am using cr ver 8.0

Is there any way around this???

Thanks in advance.

You need to show the content of the formula.

-LB

Sorry I wasn't more expedient on my reply -- still
learning the group protocol.

Anyway, in the Group 1 Header I have the following:

column for item numbers
column for count of item numbers
column for sum of weight
column for percentage of sum of weight
column for pieceweight
formula @pcs
sum ({wt},{item})/{piecewt}

the above error occurs when I try to total @pcs

I am truly appreciative of your support!

First, I believe you are in the wrong forum--try forum149 or forum767 in the future.

You cannot insert sums on formulas that already contain summaries or that use any function that requires a sequential evaluation of records, like Previous() or next(). In this case, you would need to use a variable to sum your formula. The following assumes you are summing at the grand total level:

//{@accum} to be placed in the section containing the {@pcs} formula:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar sumpcs := sumpcs + {@pcs};

//{@display} to be placed in the report footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar sumpcs;

-LB

This worked very well -- I thank you.

I will certainly look at the other forums if I need further help -- Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back