Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finally, I'm upgrading an OLD 3300 running 3300 ICP version 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH64Armament

Vendor
Sep 5, 2008
US
Just thought I'd share my latest old-site upgrade.

Finally upgrading one of the oldest systems we have... the hoops I have to jump through to make this work has already been "fun".

This site currently has a Mitel 3300 MX Controller running 3300 ICP rel 9. This came out in 2009 (I think).

Upgrade to the latest version available requires so many little steps that have to be done in a specific order and will take such a long time to get to the end result that I'm doing all of these upgrades off-site.

This has already had a bunch of odd hurdles to overcome...

The final controller is assembled, found out it has MiVB 9 and has to be "reverse migrated" to MiVB 8, then downgraded to MCD 4 to accommodate a migration.

This system is only permitting me to to go back to MCD 6, not MCD 4 as I had hoped.
This means that I now need to assemble another intermediate controller platform that will handle MCD 4.

Meanwhile, after several failed attempts with my Window 8 and Windows 10 computers.
I dug out an old Windows XP laptop and Finally got the database to load to a spare MX controller. It initially failed, but succeeded after I installed Java 6.

Fun fun fun... glad I won't have to support this ancient software after this upgrade.

So my steps for this upgrade to get a new controller to the customer with the latest available MiVB 9.x software:

1. Back up the customer's existing database - I did this the other day using the "Software Installer Tool - Version 14.0.0.10" - the process is documented on Tek-Tips.
2. Restore that backup to another MX controller running 3300 release 9. I found out that the SI tool can't be used to restore the database, but it required a Windows XP machine with Java 6 and IE 6.
3. I'll remove any programming that can't be restored directly to the CX-II controller - this is the AMB/AOB, U-ASU, phantom PER node (the programming here will be "trusted extensions" later on. PRI card - though this MIGHT be moveable.. I'll try with it, and repeat if needed.
4. Restore the database to a controller running MCD 4.0 SP4 - 10.0.4.26.
5. Migrate to SDS mode.
6. Back up the database.
7. restore the database to a controller running MCD 6.
8. Upgrade the MCD 6 to MiVB 8 - I do believe it will permit me to go directly to 9 from 6, but I've always been told to never jump more than 2 versions at a time.
9. Upgrade the MiVB 8 to the latest version of MiVB 9.
10. somewhere along the way, rebuild the programming that was deleted on step 3.
11. Deliver the controller to the site, install to the rack and turn it on. Cable out the AMB/AOB from the CX-II.
12. log into the old controller and determine any mailboxes that have messages and have those users clear the messages out. Also check to see what phones are in/out of service for later comparison.
13. move the connections from the AMB/AOB/U-ASU to the CX-II AMB/AOB connections.
14. move the ethernet and T1/PRI connection to the new system.
15. remove the old controller from the rack.
16. verify the in/out of service IP phones.

I'm sure there's lots of other ways of doing this upgrade, but this is what I'm doing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back