Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finalizing Adjustments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhinoJockey

Technical User
Nov 1, 2009
CA
Hi all,

I just started using Photoshop so I am completely new at everything...

I am having problems with finalizing my adjustments. I have split the photo into two layers using a mask and am trying to adjust the brightness and contrast in one of the layers. I created an adjustment layer, worked out the adjustments that I wanted, and then tried to merge all three layers together. When I do this, I lose the adjustments I made to the brightness and contrast. I was wondering how to make the adjustments permanent.

Thankyou

Hi there,

The adjustments should be permanent, so you may be just missing something along the way. Here's a step-by-step as I understand your situation:

1. Original image has just one layer (Background).
2. Duplicate this layer to create a new layer on top (Background Copy)
3. Add a layer mask to "Background Copy" layer, and mask as required.
4. Hold down 'Alt' while creating your adjustment layer, and check the box that says 'Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask'. Click OK (this is to ensure that the adjustment layer only affects the "Background Copy" layer, rather than the whole image).
5. Make the adjustments as necessary, then click OK.

Now, at this point, you should have three layers, with the adjustment layer only affecting the "Background Copy" layer. OK so far? Usually, I would save this layered file 'as-is' rather than merging, so I could go back and change it later, but if you absolutely need to merge it into a single file, simply go to 'Layer > Flatten Image'.

Note that there are other shortcuts for achieving the same as the above, but you'll pick these up as you go along. Also, I would recommend that you learn a little bit about Levels and Curves, as they're both much better than Brightness and Contrast.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back