Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

filtering question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterny

Programmer
Jan 19, 2007
US
Folks,

I am using CR 10 with DB2. I created a query using the add command. In it, I have a where clause. Later on, I realized I had forgotten another filter and added it in the formula workshop - selection formulas - record selection. I understand this may not be the easiest way to do things nor the most practical, but other than that, things seem to work fine. Is there something wrong with entering filters in this way, or something I should be wary of? Thanks so much.

Yes, anything you add in the selection formula will be filtered locally, slowing down the report. Why not just edit the where clause directly in the command?

-LB

Thanks for the response LB. I certainly could add the clause directly in the command, and in many cases will do so. I guess it just seems easier or faster to do it in the tool. I just wanted to find out the ramifications of doing it the way I described above. I have one other quick quetion, in the same vein as the one above. Sometimes I will try to do a join using the GUI ( in links ). Sometimes I will pull in two tables with no join at all, and then in my filter way where table1.key field = table2.key field. Is there any downside to doing this as well? Thanks again.

Creating the link in the record selection formula forces local processing as well. Performing the join in the linking area will result in a faster report.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back