Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering- find tasks that include a particular resource in subtasks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabespar

Technical User
Apr 2, 2012
US
I have 150 projects as independent first level summary tasks. On average, each of these summary tasks have 8 subtasks using various resources.

I need to extract just those summary tasks/projects that include a particular resource in any of its subtasks, all while keeping all of the subtasks within that project intact.

Did that make sense?

Currently, I highlight all the tasks using the particular resource, and then scroll down and delete the summary tasks that do not have any highlighted subtasks.

This is too tedious to do on a regular basis, and I suspect I'm missing a clever way to do this.

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are doing and what you are seeking. Do you have a consolidated project with the 150 projects inserted?

Why are you deleting summary tasks - usually deleting summary tasks deletes subtasks.

Sorry, can you describe a bit more about how your project(s) are structured?

What release of Project are you using?

I am using Project 2010.

Yes, I am using one consolidated project file with 150 independent projects that are identified as tasks at the first level. There are 8-15 subtasks and milestones in each of these projects.

Almost half of these projects have subtasks which utilize a particular resource, "Pipeline Crew".

I need to present a gantt chart to the pipeline crew that shows only projects they're interested in. So ideally, I want to hide the tasks(projects) that do not use "pipeline crew" in any of the related subtasks.

Yes, deleting the summary tasks deleted the subtasks, but that's what I did for printing just the projects I needed to present.

So how do I to filter out the tasks(projects) that do not contain "pipeline crew" in any of its subtasks?

I hope my question is clearer.
Thanks! Gabe

Ah, I think I understand. There is a built-in filter in Project that shows tasks assigned to a particular resource -- we just need to create its opposite.

I haven't tested this in a consolidated project, so it might need some extra work.

In the Gantt chart view, click View tab, filter drop-down New Filter. Give the filter a name of your choosing.
In the Field Name, select Resource Names,
Test - Does not contain
Value(s) enter the name of the pipeline crew or other resource.

Apply the filter. Does it exclude all tasks without the pipeline crew assigned?

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately, that only applies to each individual task. I have come to the conclusion it will not be possible apply any logic that needs information from other tasks. Maybe it can be done by WBS numbers.

So, now my solution is to add a custom field "Is pipeline crew involved?", and manually add "yes" or "no" to every task, then filter according to this new field data.

This is certainly better than before, so on to my next dilemma...

Thank you

Sorry, yes. Filters and custom fields only act upon a single task line -- without reference to other impacts.

If you want to use the filter effectively, you need to assign pipeline crew to any tasks they are working on.

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Let us know if we can assist with any further dilemmas relating to Project.

Julie

Open the file and display the Gantt Chart view

If it isn't already on, turn on AutoFilter.
If it isn't already displayed, display Resource Names column

Create a new filter
Click on View > the filter drop down > New filter
In the popup:
Name: PDQBach
Show in menu: check mark
FieldName: Summary
Test: equals
Value(s): No
Show related summary rows: blank
Click on the "apply" button

You should now be seeing only detail tasks.

In the ResourceNames column, select Pipeline

If this doesn't show you want you want, please advise.

I think I tackled this as well as it's going to get by manually inputting yes or no in a custom field, and filtering that field. However, if you still are up for the challenge, I will try to describe it better.

Task A
sub task A/resource Bert
sub task A/resource ERNIE
sub task A/resource Ralph
Task B
sub Task B/resources Bert, ERNIE
Sub task B/resource Ralph
Task C
Sub Task C/resource Bert
Sub Task C/resource Ralph

I want to present to Ernie all the projects he's involved in, showing all the sub tasks. In this case it would be Task A and all three sub tasks, and Task B and both sub tasks. Task C and its sub tasks would be filtered out since Ernie is not involved at all.
Good Luck!

The challenge is, as you have discovered, that it is easy to show tasks assigned to Ernie and associated summary tasks -- however you cannot at the same time only show Ernie's tasks and then show subtasks of that summary where Ernie is not assigned.

Both PDQ Bach and I have shown you how to create filters variously looking for and excluding resources. I believe in order to get all that you want you'd have to write a macro to loop through all tasks, look for Ernie, then mark all subtasks under the same parent with a key to include all tasks.

Custom fields and filters only look at a single row (record) -- you'd need VBA to refer to other task values.

Julie

Now that I fully understand your request, Julie is absolutely right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back