Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering data where multiple values possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanSales

Technical User
Sep 21, 2008
CA
I'm sorry, but i'm not sure how to describe this. Probably simple.

Subject A can be linked to a separate table with:
Description A
Description B
Description C

Subject B can be linked to:

Description A

Subject C can be linked to:

Description C

What I want to do is suppress or show only subjects who are linked to Description A.

Works for Subject B. However, anything I do to Subject A doesn't work because Subject A has multiple Description links. If I suppress based on Description A, it sees that there are links to Description B and C and allows it.

Any help...again, gong this thread if I haven't described it enough.

RY

Can you clarify what you would expect to see based on the above three customers? Also, do you only want to see customers whose ONLY description is A?

-LB

What I would like to display is

Subject A - Description A
Subject B - Description A
Subject C - BLANK

I want my report to show all subjects, but only show the description if it is description A.

Sorry, I got that backwards...

I want it to be blanks for Subject A and Subject B...I only want it to supress if they ANY of the descriptions they are linked to is Description A. The only one who would have anything displayed is Subject C, because they do not have a link to Description A.

Cheers,
RY

Use a left join FROM the table containing all subjects TO the table with the descriptions. Then create a formula {@DescA}:

if {table.description} = "Description A" then 1

Insert a group on {table.subject} and add {table.description} to your detail section. Then right click on {table.description}->format field->common tab->suppress->x+2 and enter:

sum({@DescA},{table.subject}) <> 0

You would then see a display of all descriptions for any subject that does not have a description A, but for subjects who have description A, you would only have a blank. You could add the groupname to the detail section, and format it to suppress if duplicated, and also format the detail section to "suppress blank section".

Be sure not to add any record selection criteria that use fields from the description table.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back