Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering certain cost data from Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

piedpiper11

Technical User
Apr 16, 2013
US
I'm using MS Project Pro 2013 and having trouble getting certain tasks to disappear from the cost model. In a 500-task project, I have about 15 tasks sprinkled around that have negative costs (they are Materials-type resources, which I think is the only way I can get a negative number in the cost model). For purposes of a particular report I'm creating, I'd like to negate the effect of these negative cost numbers (which represent Matching funds contributed to the project), so that I can show only the cash out-flows from the project in each quarter. I know I can turn on filtering (triggered on a Flag field I've created to designate which tasks should be removed from consideration) in the reporting function, but it does not appear to have any effect on the total dollar amount in the report. It seems that making these tasks Inactive might work, but they are scattered about, and I don't want to have to manually make each of these tasks inactive every time I look at the report.

Is there an easier way to filter out these tasks from having an effect on a cost report? (short of writing a VBA program to essentially toggle them as a group from active to inactive)

-Scott

Scott

Hi Scott,

I'm seeing the same thing - filtering does not remove the negative costs- so the total project cost is still showing the negative values. Are the negative costs the only time you've used that specific material resource? On tasks where the material resource(negative cost value) assigned the only resource assigned or have you mixed assignments? You shouldn't need to use the Flag field - if you've assigned the material resource alone. Use the "using resource" filter and inactivate those tasks. Remove the filter - to set things back - filter for inactive - and re-activate.

A given material resource may be used in a couple different tasks, one of which i want to negate for the report, and the other not. So i have a custom flag field on which i can filter and then do as you suggest. Not perfectly elegant, because i have to remember to reactivate the tasks after running the report, but it's doable. Thanks Julie.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back