Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering by keyword in subjet or body of e-mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I'm trying to setup filtering of obnoxious/obscene e-mail but I can't find any information on how to filter by keyword rather than sender's address. I had setup filtering in my IMail server by creating a file that had the filter words in it and where to look for those words (e-mail subject and body). Is there something like that in Exchange Server 2000? Some of my users are getting over 100 bogus e-mails every day. Others have demanded that I stop the "offensive" e-mails from showing up on their machines. Help!

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

It sounds to me like you need to invest in an Anti-SPAM and/or Content Filtering product. They have these for the client side, BUT you should invest in a server-side product. GFI Mailessentials and MailMarshal are two of these products you could choose from. They are fairly straightforward in their management interface, as long as you take the time to properly install and configure them.

To clean up the existing messages, should they still be present, you could use the Exmerge reskit utility. It has very robust filtering and scripting capabilities and goes a long way in cleaning and disaster recovery assistance.

Good luck.

So Exchange Server doesn't have the filtering capabilities that Ipswitch's IMail does?

Sheesh!

Joe Brouillette

Joe,

No, Exchange doesn't have any native filtering capabilities for Subject/Content of mails.

I use the Symantec product because we use Symantec's Corporate Anti-virus products. Actually, we don't use it's filtering capabilities now that I think about it! lol

Dave

Got it.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Joe,

I've seen a few of your posts regarding migrating from IMail to Exchange on tek-tips. My company is evaluating a migration from IMail to Exchange. Can you offer any suggestions or point me toward documentation on this type of conversion. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey Rakind,
I never found a way to migrate the mailboxes over to Exchange so I had my users go through and save any messages they needed. As for the actual stopping of Imail and starting of Exchange, it was a fairly quick and painless procedure. I did have a tech here from a local network service business, but all he did was uncheck a box that had a check mark in it. Other than that, I'm very please with the performance of Exchange, especially the web access for the e-mail. About the only negative thing I have to say about Exchange is that there isn't any mail filtering capability like there is in Imail.

HTH,

Joe Brouillette

The spam filter I use is a VBS script that says it was written by George Walker (george@escapesystems.com). You should be able to Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back