Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering a SqlDataSource

Status
Not open for further replies.

MzKitty

Programmer
Oct 28, 2003
US
Hi. I'm using vs2008 and I have a form where the user can enter data in a vehicle field or leave blank for all and I need to configure my sqldatasource for the gridview on that scenario. My current select is the code below and is based on the user having entered a "from" vehicle and a "to" Vehicle, but I would need to give the user the option of not entering anything into these fields.

SELECT TicketNo, UniqueID, TicketDate, LocationID, CustomerID, OrderID, VehicleID FROM JwsData1.Tkhist1 WHERE (LocationID = ?) AND (CustomerID = ?) AND (TicketDate >= ?) AND (TicketDate <= ?) AND (VehicleID >= ?) AND (VehicleID <= ?) ORDER BY TicketNo, UniqueID

These two fields are strings pertaining to a vehicle's license plate. Can this be done? Or do I need to assign a default value of "1" to the "From" vehicle and a default of "Z" to the "To" vehicle?

I assume you use this sql to populate some kind of table which is the data source for your grid.

How about - if your "from" text box is txtVehFrom and your "to" is txtVehTo:
Code:
Dim sql As String = "SELECT TicketNo, UniqueID, TicketDate, " & _
    " LocationID, CustomerID, OrderID, VehicleID " & _
    " FROM JwsData1.Tkhist1 " & _
    " WHERE (LocationID = ?) AND (CustomerID = ?) AND (TicketDate >= ?) " & _
    " AND (TicketDate <= ?) "

If Strings.Len(txtVehFrom.Text) > 0 And Strings.Len(txtVehTo.Text) > 0 Then
    sql &= " AND (VehicleID >= '" & txtVehFrom.Text & "') " & _
      " AND (VehicleID <= '" & txtVehTo.Text & "') "
End If

sql &= "ORDER BY TicketNo, UniqueID"

Have fun.

---- Andy

My sql is not coded in my app; it is in my custom sql data source. I can go into 'Configure data source wizard' and work with my sql, but the parameters are represented as ?. I can't do 'if else' statements in there. I can give the parameters default values, but I can't tell it 'If ?CustomerID = "" then do all customers'. Is there a way to pass the sql statement to the data source after the user has entered his parameters, so the data going into the gridview is the correct filtered information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back