Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering a database query using a drop down list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

MIS
Mar 16, 2001
US
I have been told what I am wanting is easy to do, but I just can't figure it out. What I'd like to do is change my current database listing so that the heading column is a drop down filter, like the excel autofilter function.

Below is my current coding. I would like to replace the headings shown in lines 10-12 (position, team, ratings) with dropdown boxes populated with the results from the database.

<%
Dim rsItems
strSQL = &quot;SELECT * FROM Item &quot;
Set rsItems = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)
rsItems.Open strSQL, objConn
If Not rsItems.EOF Then
Response.Write _
&quot;<TABLE BORDER=&quot;&quot;1&quot;&quot; CELLSPACING=&quot;&quot;2&quot;&quot; CELLPADDING=&quot;&quot;2&quot;&quot;>&quot; & _
&quot; <TR>&quot; & _
&quot; <TH>Name</TH>&quot; & _
&quot; <TH>Position</TH>&quot; & _
&quot; <TH>Team</TH>&quot; & _
&quot; <TH>Ratings</TH>&quot; & _
&quot; </TR>
Response.Write _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;ItemName&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot; & _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;Position&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot; & _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;Team&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot; & _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;plyrRatings&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot;
rsItems.MoveNext
Loop
Response.Write &quot;</TABLE>&quot;
rsItems.close
%>

If someone could show me a link to a good site that will show me in detail how to do this, or if it's real easy show me here, I would greatly appreciate it.

Scarecrow,
I am not sure what you mean. Do you want to be able to sort the data based on the field in the column?
Mike

Yes.

For example, in the 'Position' field name of my 'Item' database table there will be SP, MR, CL, C, 1B, 2B... . I want it so that there is a drop down box in the top row (currently a header row that says 'Position') so that if I want to see just the Catchers, I can select 'C' from the drop down box, and only the Catchers will be displayed.

I think this code would get u the Drop Down with the data.
<%
Dim rsItems
strSQL = &quot;SELECT * FROM Item &quot;
Set rsItems = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)
rsItems.Open strSQL, objConn
rsItems1.open strSQL, objConn
If Not rsItems.EOF Then
Response.Write _
&quot;<TABLE BORDER=&quot;&quot;1&quot;&quot; CELLSPACING=&quot;&quot;2&quot;&quot; CELLPADDING=&quot;&quot;2&quot;&quot;>&quot; & _
&quot; <TR>&quot; & _
&quot; <TH>Name</TH>&quot; & _
&quot; <TH>Position <select size=&quot;1&quot; name=&quot;D1&quot;>
<%
do while !rsItems1.eof

&quot;<option value=&quot;& rsItems1(&quot;Position&quot;) &&quot;>&quot; & rsItems1(&quot;Position&quot;) & &quot;</option>&quot;
rsItems1.movenext
loop
rsitems1.firstrecord
%></select></TH>&quot; & _
&quot; <TH>Team<select size=&quot;1&quot; name=&quot;D21&quot;>
<%
do while !rsItems1.eof

&quot;<option value=&quot;& rsItems1(&quot;Team&quot;) &&quot;>&quot; & rsItems1(&quot;Team&quot;) & &quot;</option>&quot;
rsItems1.movenext
loop
rsitems1.firstrecord
&quot; <TH>Ratings<select size=&quot;1&quot; name=&quot;D3&quot;>
<%
do while !rsItems1.eof

&quot;<option value=&quot;& rsItems1(&quot;plyrRatings&quot;) &&quot;>&quot; & rsItems1(&quot;plyrRatings&quot;) & &quot;</option>&quot;
rsItems1.movenext
loop
rsitems1.firstrecord
&quot; </TR>
Response.Write _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;ItemName&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot; & _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;Position&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot; & _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;Team&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot; & _
&quot;<TD><FONT SIZE=&quot;&quot;-1&quot;&quot;>&quot; & rsItems(&quot;plyrRatings&quot;) & &quot;</TD>&quot;
rsItems.MoveNext
Loop
Response.Write &quot;</TABLE>&quot;
rsItems.close
%>

now u can write a form eventwhen user selects a particular value of the drop down from any of the three fields,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back