Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering a Combo Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

kburnham

Technical User
Apr 14, 2001
US
Current Situation:
I have a table that is used to identify what an employee currently has as far as equipment, furniture, etc.

The form has a combo box for several different categories such as Chair, Work Surface, Keyboard, Monitor, Telephone, etc.

Previously, I had a table for each category where I would list the different items. For example:

TABLE: ItemListChairs
RECORDS:
Drafting Stool
HAG
Standard

TABLE: ItemListWorkSurfaces
RECORDS:
Desk Surface, Corner W/S 48*30 (cut out)
Desk Surface, Mayline Adjustable Unit

TABLE: ItemListKeyboards
RECORDS:
MS Ergo
Regular

The users wanted to be able to manually enter items into the ItemList tables when needed. The problem I see now is that the "categories" have expanded. I'm now looking at approximately 10-15 different "ItemList" tables.

GOAL:
I have combined all the items into one table called ItemList. I've added a field called "Category". An example of a record would be:

Category: CHAIR
Description: HAG
Cost: $350
Responsible Party: Facilities

I would like to set up the combo box to filter the list. For example, if I'm in the field called "Chair Type", I'd like to look at my combined ItemList table (via combo box), and only show those records where the category is CHAIR. Right now, I see ALL items.

I understand that I would have to customize this for every field on my form, but I figure setting it up initally for 15 fields is better than maintaining 15 tables.

Thanks so much for your help!

kburnham
:

Are you using Access, Excel, or Word? I've done something similar in Excel. Regards,

LoNeRaVeR

Aw, geez... sorry about that. I'm used to using a different forum that was specific to the application. My apologies...

I'm using Access 97.

It has been a few days so you may already have found a solution but if not then I think all you need is the FAQ in the "Micrsoft: Access Forms" Forum. Look for:

How do I limit the contents of one combo box based on the selection in another?
-Submitted by RickSpr

It is near the bottom under the "User Interface Techniques" section.

Ruffwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back