Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filter results on 4 dynamic menus dependant on how many selected

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoobyLou

Programmer
Oct 21, 2009
ES
I have 4 list menus and 1 submit button posting to a recordset in my results page to get the data from my database, i want the user to be able to find the data based on a selection in all 4 menus or just based on a selction in 1, 2 or 3 of the menus and at the moment i only know how to filter the information by passing all 4 variables and doing query on all 4 using AND or doing the query based on 3 menus selected using AND and OR sql and the same when 2 menus selected, i can also write the OR sql if only 1 menu selected, HOW DO I QUALIFY HOW MANY OPTIONS FROM THE MENUS HAVE BEEN SELECTED? I´m not even sure if i should be looking at a more advanced sql query or if in fact there is some can of If else php i should be doing, or something else. I´m quite used to dreamweaver but this is my first dynamic site and am still learning php. Can anyone offer any help please?

depending on the server language you use will determine how.

you would essentially check for which variables are present and go from there

actually just read the last sentence but you would use php and mysql together here.

php will check the variables and then output your query.

check the php forum as this is above my pay grade

Darryn Cooke
| The New Orange County Graphic designer and Marketing and Advertising Consultant
| Marketing and Advertising blog

Thanks darren, at least i know that its the php i need to look at, i´ll check out that forum.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back