Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

filter IF statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali32j

Technical User
Apr 23, 2007
GB
hi all

I have a query with several columns, at present it shows duplicate records if it has both a "soldto" and "shipto" in column "Hierarchy" within this there are 3 possible results, "soldto", "shipto" or "node", when it filters i would like it to do the following:

show "soldto", if no "soldto" for a record then show "shipto" and always exclude "node"

can anyone help how i would go about doing this?

Look forward to anyone help here

Thanks

Ali

Perhaps something on the lines of:

Code:
SELECT ID, Hierarchy, Col1, ColEtc 
FROM Table
WHERE Hierarchy = "soldto"
UNION 
SELECT ID, Hierarchy, Col1, ColEtc 
FROM Table
WHERE Hierarchy = "shipto"
AND ID Not IN (SELECT ID FROM Table
               WHERE Hierarchy = "soldto")

If the table is large, it may be better to use a join.

Hi sorry i m struggling with this one, i tried simplify when explaining, but the sql is little more complex so i m struggling to figure where to place this.

my SQL is

SELECT DISTINCT Customer.[Name 1], CustomerDetails.ContactNote, CustomerDetails.PotentialOverall, CustomerDetails.CustomerType, CustomerDetails.Column1, CustomerDetails.Column2, Businesswarehousetemp.[FY YTD Daily], Businesswarehousetemp.[FY-1 Full Year], Businesswarehousetemp.[FY-2 Full Year], CustomerDetails.Column3, CustomerDetails.Column4, CustomerDetails.Column5, CustomerDetails.Column6, CustomerDetails.Column7, CustomerDetails.Column8, Count(*) AS [Count Of Customer], CustomerDetails.CallBackDate, CustomerDetails.AppointmentDate, Customer.[Postal Code], Customer.City, Customer.[Sales District], CustomerDetails.ID, CustomerDetails.CustomerTimeUnits, CustomerDetails.ActualCustomerTimeUnits, Customer.[Potential Indicator], CustomerDetails.CDTAM, Customer.[Hierarchy]
FROM (UserInformation INNER JOIN (CustomerDetails INNER JOIN Customer ON CustomerDetails.ID = Customer.ID) ON UserInformation.User = CustomerDetails.User) LEFT JOIN Businesswarehousetemp ON CustomerDetails.ID = Businesswarehousetemp.ID
GROUP BY Customer.[Name 1], CustomerDetails.ContactNote, CustomerDetails.PotentialOverall, CustomerDetails.CustomerType, CustomerDetails.Column1, CustomerDetails.Column2, Businesswarehousetemp.[FY YTD Daily], Businesswarehousetemp.[FY-1 Full Year], Businesswarehousetemp.[FY-2 Full Year], CustomerDetails.Column3, CustomerDetails.Column4, CustomerDetails.Column5, CustomerDetails.Column6, CustomerDetails.Column7, CustomerDetails.Column8, CustomerDetails.CallBackDate, CustomerDetails.AppointmentDate, Customer.[Postal Code], Customer.City, Customer.[Sales District], CustomerDetails.ID, CustomerDetails.CustomerTimeUnits, CustomerDetails.ActualCustomerTimeUnits, Customer.[Potential Indicator], CustomerDetails.CDTAM, Customer.[Hierarchy];

Still remains, Hierarchy i need to look for "soldto", if none present show "shipto"

Could you explain where i fit this into complex code as above?

Ali

To do what Remou is suggesting you can bite it off in a couple pieces instead of all at once.

1) Make "qrysoldTo" which is your big query above with a criteria returning only the "soldTo" records
2) Make "qryShipToOnly" which is your big query above with a criteria
AND ID Not IN (SELECT ID qrySoldTo)
3) Now union select the two
select * from qrySoldTo union Select * from qryShipToOnly

Same idea as Remou's but in three steps making it a little easier to get the sql correct.

Hi

I m getting the following error in the soldto query:

"the specified field 'ID' could refer to more than one table listed in the FROM clause of your SQL statement"

Is this because i have a field in my table called "ID"??

Ali

There is a small typo in MajP's suggestion:

AND ID Not IN (SELECT ID [red]FROM[/red] qrySoldTo)

Does that match your SQL?

AND CustomerDetails.ID Not IN (SELECT ID FROM qrySoldTo)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks. I need to pay better attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back