Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

filming

Status
Not open for further replies.

leca07

Technical User
Dec 22, 2001
YU
Hi everyone,
My question is about filming. I have an Illustrator file consisting of 6 different stickers of a same size and it should be prepared in a correct way for filming. I placed trim marks using filter Create>Trim marks, but still I'm not sure if I did it correctly, cause people in the filming bureau told me that the artwork should overlap trim marks. I?m a bit scared to make any changes cause I do not want my stickers to be cropped or cut off when printed.... Here's ( ) the screen shot of it. So if anyone of you have the experience in preparing a file for filming please ADVICE ME !!!

When one says 'that the artwork should overlap trim marks', they are referring to 'bleeds'. Bleeds are simply an extension of the background beyond the cropping area. While the goal is to cut exactly on the crop marks, this is not entirely accurate. The bleed or excess background color around the graphic prevents a white (or paper-colored) halo to appear around your stickers.

Your printer is probally referring to bleed, I would also ask your printer how you should set up your files. The printer I work for we would place each one of your stickers in a page in Quark to the size you want with bleed. We then send down each sticker as a single file, then we use impostion software to place the job in the layout. This will make sure that your job will fit correctly on the press sheet.

Alot of our client will create files with stickers or Business cards all ganged up one 1 page, and sometimes their measurements could be off. Or their work is not pulled down close enough to the gripper. We have 1 client that when ever they send in Business card all ganged up on a page In Illustrator, their marks are not the correct trim size and we have to modify their files to be correct. If you need more help to what I'm talking about, drop me a line.

Prepress Solutions
PrepressSolution@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back