Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fillin fields in word 2002 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngardner

Technical User
Apr 1, 2002
AU
Does anyone know how these fillin fields work in word? I have tried to read the help files but they aren't much help!
What I need to do is create a fillin field for a document, basically asking the user to type in one of two things. However I only want them to have to do this once, and then this would update the fields in the rest of the document that are linked to this.
I hope this makes sense - any ideas appreciated!

Hi ngardner,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. But I guess you want to use formfields in a document, as reserved places in a document, for a user to fill out some variable info. Once he's done that this same info should turn up on other places in the document. If this is what you want, then this should be the way to achieve this:

Where ever you want the user to fill out some info you have to place a formfield, by using the first button on the "Forms" toolbar. This will insert a grey field in the document. You can doubleclick this field, for example to rename it. After that you have to enter a REF field on the other places in the document where you want that same info to be displayed. You can insert a REF field by selecting Insert - Field (Standard Menubar). Search for the REF Field, select it and click "Options". In the Options area you can find the tab "Bookmarks" from which you can choose your formfield.

Once you are done with your document, be sure to protect it and select the option "Forms". A user now wil only be able to enter info in the formfields you created. He can tab his way through these formfields, any other part of the document is protected an can not be altered by the user. If you want some parts to be unprotected you will have to use sections in your document.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Unica

Instead of using Forms - you can also use Fillin Fields which gives the user prompts all the way through the document.

From the Insert Menu choose Fields
Choose the Fill in Field
In the Field Codes box it should already say FILLIN
Whatever you type in this box must be inside quotes eg. "Type Name and Address"
Click OK
A Fillin Prompt Box should appear on the document.
Click OK
Repeat this process until all Fillin fields have been put in place throughout the document.
While completing this process you can have the field codes displayed ALT F9 - but make sure when you save the file they are not.
Save the file as a Template
Create a New document based on the Template
Watch the Fillin Fields pop up throughout the document
HEY PRESTO !!!

Hope this helps

IByte!

Thanks all,
I understand the fillin bit but how can I reference a fillin field in another part of the document.
IE if a prompt asks for your name at the beginning of the document, can I make it fill it in everywhere in the document where the person's name is required. Or is the only way to do this by using Forms (which I don't really want to do as I like the fillin boxes)
Cheers!
N

There is a way to reference the fill-in fields:

once you've inserted the fill-in fields, make sure that the fieldcodes are displayed. Select a fill-in field and insert a bookmark on that selection. Now you can enter REF fields on other places in your document and reference to the bookmark you just created.

Regards,
Unica

Excellent - just one last question. How do I get the document to bring up the fillin field every time I open the document? At the moment it only appears when I am creating the field.
Thank you so much for your help!!

Hi ngardner,

just save the document you created as a template (*.dot) and it will work.

regards,
Unica

Or use the AutoOpen macro. That way it will run eveyrtime the document is opened.

You could also use a macro that runs on exit from the frst fillin field. It could pick up the value of that fillin, then make the value of the other fllin the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back