Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fillable pdf - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbeach

Programmer
Jan 22, 2008
US
Is anyone out there creating fillable PDF documents off PHP and if so, how? lol

Are you using all PHP or had to use 3rd party tools to get the job done?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

I use fpdf - I had already checked the referenced script but I cannot "edit" the content of the fields in the rendered pdf document.

I need to render a PDF where the recipient can fill in the fields ...

Thanks,

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

Is it required to build the PDF on the fly through PHP?

Most PDF's that are meant to be filled in generally have the same fields for every recipient. Or are you saying you are custom building the PDF for each recipient?

Is it not possible to have a pre-built PDF, and just have it be sent?

Can you not have them fill in a form in website instead of the PDF?

Fillable forms require some background coding, and I have not found any PHP libraries that actually build these. Adobe has a tool that does this, but I'm not sure there is something like that for PHP.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I use Coldfusion to fill PDF's with form fields and flatten them. Have not found a PHP tool for this. Since Coldfusion is an Adobe product they have an advantage.

If you can't stand behind your troops, stand in front of them.
Semper Fidelis

Jim

I am using pretty old code (2007) to generate PDF files but I am sure with the improved PDF support there is more efficient ways of creating the PDF but basic principle stays the same - I have a fillable, amendable form and only once the information is correct does it create the PDF - keeps it nice and simple

Gotten swamped with a bunch of other things and we decided to put this part of the project in the back burner in order to make headway in other areas.

That being said,
(a) all of the pdf must be created on the fly from within php
(b) the content changes as it is dynamic
(c) data come from both database and form input
(d) using pfdf class (e) the rendered PDF need to have values filled in but allow recipient to edit ...

I am pushing killer PDFs but cannot figure out this part of the project. Everything I've found thus far seems to require a "template", fill in the fields within PHP using pfdf (above referenced script) and render resulting PDF but it is not editable once rendered even if "template" is.

I used CFML before but I do not think buying ColdFusion is an option right now just to get this part of the project done!

--
SouthBeach

Actually the PDF FORM should be editable when rendered providing you don't use the "Flatten" command.

If you can't stand behind your troops, stand in front of them.
Semper Fidelis

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back