Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fill .PDF form (NOT PRINT TO .PDF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreded

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
US
i have an existing, official "gumint" form that i would like to fill out from an Access database. It has all the usual government form fields (LastName, FirstName, etc.). i tried substituting "Adobe" for "Word".application thinking that the essentials are the same, it just needs redirected to the proper application. So far no dice. i can't recreate the form in its "approved" fashion with Word or Access.
Is there a way to have Access fillout the form and leave it open for printing using only Adobe Reader (insert current version here)? i envision it as merely taking the typing out of the cycle and automating the system somewhat.
Thanks,
Dave

I don't think you can do what you want. I believe you will need the full retail version of Acrobat to create and edit forms. As far as I know Acrobat doesn't have a layer that would permit interface with Microsoft products.

ASMELS

Well D@&N! i was hoping to be able to have "one stop" form filling out. The case now is to fill out the form, then add person to database. If i could make it just fill out database then push a button to fill out and print form it would be much easier and keep our database more up to date too.
Thanks for the info!
Dave

Hi all

I am looking for the same and so far found this:

How do you use a VB application to call an instance of a
Filler form?
VB script for OLE automation of Filler application
The following code demonstrates how to use OLE automation to open Filler from a VB application.
Example:
Private Sub Command1_Click()
'Object declarations
Dim JetApp As Application
Dim oForm As Filler.Form
Dim oSubform As Filler.Subform
'Launch Filler and set the objects
Set JetApp = CreateObject("FILLER.APPLICATION")
JetApp.Visible = True
Set oForm = JetApp.Forms.Add("path to filename")
Set oSubform = oForm.Records(1).Subforms(1)
'Put values into the fields
oSubform.Fields("JF01").Text = "This" ' this is where you would put the variable or field data string
oSubform.Fields("JF02").Text = "will"
oSubform.Fields("JF03").Text = "work"
'Print and shut down
oForm.PrintOut
JetApp.Quit
End Sub

Product
JetForm Filler, 5.2.6
Platform(s)
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows NT
Adobe

How are ya wreded . . .
wreded[blue said:
... Is there a way to have Access fillout the form and leave it open for printing using only Adobe Reader ...[/blue]
I've been down this road several times. What i purpose is a little time consuming but only involves Word. Here's the secnario:
[ol][li]Get an official copy of the form and scan it as a graphic file.[/li]
[li]Setup the file as a background graphic in Word.[/li]
[li]Position and setup textboxes over the graphic (here's where the work is!).[/li]
[li]With the above done, your ready to perform the euivalent of mail merge thru access to fill in the the textboxes![/li][/ol]
[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Hi AceMan 1...
i actually set up the form as a Word document with the proper fields in the proper places and did a merge from the data on file. i haven't had a chance to really debug it. To tell the truth i kinda lost heart when i found i had to do the work twice. Why make a form if one already exists? But You do what Ya gotta. Although Versys' way looks promising. i'll have to give that a try.
Leaving tomorrow for a week off. i need a break.
Thanks, and i'll let You know what i find Versys.
Dave

Where can i get more infomation about JetForm Filler

JetForm Filler was acquired by Adobe and support ended last December. It was widely used by DOD and i thought it was a good program. Data was stored in .dbf format and, if all else failed, could almost always be recovered. It doesn't appear to be available anywhere anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back