Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fill in fields and locking in word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbold

Programmer
Oct 5, 2001
GB
hello,

This post may sound incredibly dumb so i apologise if it is, i don't really use Word for much more than writing letters you see...

Basically i have been sent an application form for a job as a word document, and where i am to fill things in on it there are little grey areas inside tables where i can type things. the problem is each of these boxes will only accept about 200 characters, which isn't nearly enough to write everything, is there a way i can get rid of them or make them accept more characters?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
- matt

The form is probably protected and set to 200 characters because they wish for the response to be concise.

I might recommend attaching a second page if you have the need to expand the response....

If the sheet is protected and you don't know the password, you won't be able to change it.

My 2 cents :)

Laurie

LadyCK3

Hi Matt,
If the document is not protected by a password, you can click on View menu | Toolbars | Forms. On this toolbar, there's a "lock" icon on the far right. Click on it and see if it will let you unlock the form. If it does, then you should be able to EITHER 1) double click on the gray box and change the parameters on "maximum length" to Unlimited. In this way, you can enter as much text as you want in the box, OR 2) highlight and delete the gray boxes so you can enter your text in the table cell itself, thereby removing any restrictions.

Good luck,[thumbsup2]
Blue

Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back