Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fill in Blank Spaces between records

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2002
US
Hello everyone,
My mind doesn't want to work today.. I'm stuck with this: How can I fill up the blank spaces between two records with the value of the first one? That is, I have a table that looks like this (PRO_DESC & PRO_NAME are the column names):

PRO_DESC PRO_NAME
Request # Project 1
A
B
Request # Project 2
A
B
C
Request # Project 3
A
B
Request # Project 4
A

And I need to fill in the blanks so it looks like:

PRO_DESC PRO_NAME
Request # Project 1
A Project 1
B Project 1
Request # Project 2
A Project 2
B Project 2
C Project 2
Request # Project 3
A Project 3
B Project 3
Request # Project 4
A Project 4

How can this be done with a SQL query???
Cheers,
Alfredo

Alfredo,

What you want can be done - probably not with a SQL query, but certainly with VBA code. Can you provide some more info about what you're trying to do? My first impression is that you are asking for problems with your data structure and I am inclined to recommend you normalize your data. But maybe I just don't have a good handle on what your goal is.

Ken S.

Thanks for your quick reply, Eupher. This table is actualy a raw table created from a set of excel spreadsheets which feed the final (normalized) schema of the database. I found in another thread the following code:

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Function IMPORTARFASES()

Dim dbs
Dim rst
Dim Fname

Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT PRO_NAME from ActualDatebyPhasedeptID118")

rst.MoveFirst

If Not IsNull(rst!PRO_NAME) Then
    Fname = rst!PRO_NAME

End If

While Not rst.EOF
    rst.Move 1

If IsNull(rst!PRO_NAME) Then

rst.Edit
        rst!PRO_NAME = Fname
        rst.Update

Else: Fname = rst!PRO_NAME

End If

Wend

rst.Close
dbs.Close

End Function

Which works fine, but at the end of the recordset, when there are no more PRO_NAME null values gives me the error:

Run-time error '3021'. No current record

at line Else: Fname = rst!Field3

Any ideas???
cheers
Alfredo

Take a look at the placement of your rst.Move statement. When you come to the last record, EOF still tests false, so you loop through again. But the first line in the loop moves to the next record - nonexistent. Then when you try to access the PRO_Name value, you pop an error. I would put the first Move statement outside the loop, then put another as the last action inside the loop.

Ken S.

Thank you very much, Eupher, it worked perfectly moving the move statement as you suggest!

thanks again,
Alfredo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back