Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filezilla multiple directories question. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrrhus

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
AU
I have uploaded a folder with 3,000+ web pages in it. They seem to be uploaded OK and are accessible via my browser. However, I’m having trouble with Fz uploading a replacement file named registration.html, because I can’t find it listed (and so can’t check on version date, etc.) The message bar under the main (lower / larger) server window on the rhs, says: “1996 files and 2 directories. Total size 47MB.” Furthermore the alphabetic filenames listing ends at “newbridge” and I cannot scroll further down – and hence cannot find the “registration” file details.

It seems like Fz might split large files into its own directories (I have other large folder exhibiting similar properties – a smaller one (than above) actually claiming 3 directories.

Can anyone please tell me what’s going on, and where I can read up on the issue?

Thanks.

You could try another FTP client and likely discover the same limit. These limits are from the server, not your FTP client. Some server configs default to listing ~2000 files, which is probably around that "newbridge" file.

You could ask your server admin to increase the file list number or you cold break your files into subfolders.

You might try a manual transfer in Filezilla (CTRL-M) to put the file there without listing the working directory first.

You can also open a command/terminal/shell window on your own computer and do it old school...

Code:
>FTP
#starts FTP program
Code:
ftp>OPEN ftp.yoursite.com
#respond to prompts for username and password
Code:
ftp>CD www
#change directory to your destination
Code:
ftp>PUT c:\registration.html registration.html
#put the updated file from your computer on the server

You could try setting up a filter within Filezilla (select View / Filename filters / Edit filter rules). For example, you could filter on filenames starting with N to see if Newbridge is really there. That would at least tell you whether the problem is caused by a limitation of the FTP client or the server.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

To spamjim and MikeLewis,

Thanks to both of you for your input. Much appreciated.

Acting on your advice, that it is a server issue, I contacted the hosting service for their input.
Below is their response (I thought you might be interested for future reference).
----------------
The issue you have described with filezilla not showing all the files only a specific amount is caused by filezilla itself as it truncates mates over 2000 as you can see from a except of the ftp connection i made to your hosting space.

Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (202,191,62,55,157,222)
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Accepted data connection
Response: 226-Options: -a -l
Response: 226 Output truncated to 2000 matches

As you have more then 2000 files listed using filezilla is not ideal. We recommend using the file manager in cpanel.
---------------------
Cheers, Pyrrhus.

Having so many files in a root directory seems like poor file management to me rather than a FTP client limitation. if your server is running Apache on a *nix server why not use A - Z folders and a mod_alias redirect based on the first character of the file name?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks for you suggestion, Chris.

I use Adwords with these files. In fact, I have a large number of files to avoid using dynamic-loading pages, which it seems can cause problems with Adwords in certain circumstances (and, since I don't really know how Adwords operate in detail, I probably would not know if performance / access was being affected.)

There appear to be a number of warnings in Adwords about not using redirected files under certain circumstances.
Do you know if mod_alias redirect would cause any problems with Adwords?

Also, if I wanted some help in setting up the structure better, where would I go to get help:
i.e. how would I define the problem / category?? A db issue? hosting issue? server issue?

Thanks again,
Pyrrhus.

The adwords "no redirect" rule is for cases where URL A (the adwords landing URL) then redirects to a different URL. It is not allowed because the "Quality Score" is heavily weighted towards "key word rich URIs". So you cannot send Adwords click-throughs to nicesite.tld if the "landing URL" in the campaign was keyword.tld/keyword-keyword.htm

mod_alias 'redirects' are actually what the name implies, an alias, where document 'B' is served out for URL 'A', so the URL does not change in these cases, and of course, several aliased URLs could serve out the same document. It is mod_alias rules that content management system use for so called 'friendly' URLs, AKA URL Re-Writing.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

web hosting company said:
The issue you have described with filezilla not showing all the files only a specific amount is caused by filezilla itself as it truncates mates over 2000 as you can see from a except of the ftp connection i made to your hosting space.

Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (202,191,62,55,157,222)
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Accepted data connection
Response: 226-Options: -a -l
Response: 226 Output truncated to 2000 matches

Beware of the competence of your hosting company. "Response", as shown in this log shows what the server is responding. It is the server that is truncating its output. Filezilla does not output a list of files. It receives the server's output. As previously noted, you would see the same problem with any other FTP client because it is a server issue. The host recommended the file manager in cpanel because that is not FTP and not limited to their FTP server's 2000 file limit. It is probably a more secure method for you to transfer files as well.

You could point your web hosting technician to their FTP server config files for their future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back