Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FileSystemWatcher on Network Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

haddaway

Programmer
Jul 6, 2005
SE
I am monitoring a directory from a Windows Service. I had plans to run this Windows Service under the Local SYSTEM account but I am not sure if that works. I have access to usernames and passwords.

The problem is that I need to monitor a Network Drive. So, I thought I could combine WinAPI functions LogonUser and LoadUserProfile. I believe that I must load the user profile in order to access drives.

I have run some tests. I have 3 different accounts. The 1. SYSTEM account, and 2. admin account which has the network drives, and 3. a new admin account.

When I run as 1. I am able to user LogonUser but not LoadUserProfile.

When I run as 2. I am able to LogonUser and LoadUserProfile and get access to the network drive. This works if I login with:

* LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE
* LOGON32_LOGON_SERVICE

When I run as 3. I am able to LogonUser but only load the user profile if I use:

* LOGON32_LOGON_NEW_CREDENTIALS

However, the user that is impersonated is not the one I want but the user is still the one for the service.

I don't know what I am doing wrong or what I have todo to achieve this. Please tell me if it is possible todo this under the SYSTEM account in any way. If not, I would like to know how to get LoadUserProfile to work in the example with the user 3. - a new user admin account.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back