Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filesystemobject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cullen411

Programmer
Aug 17, 2005
GB
Hi, I am working on a script that utilizes the filesystemobject. Is there any server/hosting issues that I should be aware of that might affect the filesystemobject from working correctly that I should be aware of?

The only issues I am aware of are:
Folder/File permissions - ie, you have to have write permisions before creating a file and so on
ActiveX permissions - you have to be able to actually access the FileSystemObject (though this shouldn't be a problem)
Certain Software Firewalls - some software firewalls need you to turn off protection from scripting orthey willprotect your FileSystem call straight into the ground. Basically if you have a software firewall it will actually intercet the FileSystem call (when writing/creating/appending I believe) and the call will never fail out, leaving you with a page that sits loading forever instead of timing out.

Tests:
1) Write a little script using CreateTextFile to try to create a file. This will test the ActiveX permissions and your web account write permissions. Write permissions should be modifiable by you.
If the script never returns then you have something protecting against scripts on that machine.

Technically is your going through aprofessional web host then the only issue you should run into is the write permission issue. Generally this is something your host will give you the capability to change (or just leaves on by default).

-T

barcode_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back