Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files won't delete, file names too long 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

davegmail

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2006
US
Files won't delete, file names too long - these
seem to be related.

1. How do I delete them - they won't delete, no error messages.

2. What do I do when filenames are too long? I just save them from the a web page. Is there an easy way to prevent this?

Thanks, Dave

Is there a character in the filename that's illegal in Windows but legal in DOS?

Have you tried renaming the files? Try giving them a short name, such as 1.doc for example.

Also, the directory path name is also a factor because if the directory names are too long, you will also get this issue, so it may be worth making the path shorter to begin with and then try renaming the files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Who is General Failure and what is he doing on my computer?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thelad - yup! I figured this out also. I am archiving these closer to root directory & using shorter names.

Dave

Another option is deleting the files from the cmd prompt.
Start > Run > "cmd" Enter.

cd to the folder one level up from the one that contains the files that won't delete, and use the rd command like "rd /s /q folderwithbadfilenames" Enter

The folder with the offending files is now just ... gone!

-thefourthwall

download a programme called unlocker 1.8.3 this unlocks files and deletes them as well. good programme to use and very easy to understand

Thanks everybody!

I moved folders too deeply nested. So the total path name:

c:\folder1\folder2\.... was > 255 char.

Windows Vista would be good to avoid this some how. So I am fixing this drive's contents. I'll post news soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back