Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files to edit to ADD a new email address

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw12

Programmer
Sep 1, 2006
US
What qmail files do I need to modify in order to add a new email address (account)?

My goal is to write a php script that new users can use to create their own email account, similar to yahoo/hotmail.

I've installed vqregister, but because it's a cgi script, I'm unable to customize it to my liking.

Thx.

Isn't qmailadmin meant for System Administrators?

I as the admin, use qmailadmin to add email addresses. But I'm looking for a way for my users to create email accounts themselves without my involvement. Similar to yahoo/hotmail.

Besides, qmailadmin is written in cgi. I want to write my own php code, so that the web interface can look exactly the way I want it.

Well, if you're going to allow the users to create their own accounts, then they ARE working as administrators.

As to the code behind qmailadmin, I suspect you could hack a php front-end to the various calls to qmailadmin.

If you want to simply create a php front end to creating users, you're going to create some security risks.

Creating a user as a task is specific to the configuration of the qmail instance. Are you using local user accounts, vpopmail, qmail virtual hosting, etc???

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I'm a pro php coder, so security won't be an issue. And yes, I'm using virtual hosting on my qmail server.

"Well, if you're going to allow the users to create their own accounts, then they ARE working as administrators."

True. But they shouldn't have access to all virtual domains, and all email addresses. They should only be able to administer their one single email account. qmailadmin doesn't provide that feature as far as I know. Even if it did, I still can't make it behave exactly the way I want. That's why I need php.

All I want to know are the files that are changed when an email account is added to qmail. If anybody knows the answer for sure, please advice.

On the other hand, if there's a qmail command that does this, please let me know. I don't think my question is ambigious in anyway, is it?

I know I can look at the cgi code and determine how the accounts are created. Unfortunately, when I open the cgi script with a text editor, all I see is gobbledygook. Is there a special way to open a cgi file in order to view the code?

If want to create users in an existing domain under the command line in a vpopmail environment, you'd use {vpopmail home}/bin/vadduser

There are also commands to change the password and to create aliases.

If you're a pro coder, all you need to do is take sanitized input from the screen, do appropriate checking that you can run these commands, and then interface your way to: user adds, user deletes, alias adds, alias deletes, password changes, etc.

DO NOT attempt to change files directly under vpopmail. Interface the commands instead.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Thank you. It took a little while to arrive here, but now you understand exactly what I'm asking for: manual addition, or a command to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back