Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files lager than 2GB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondaman2003

Programmer
Mar 3, 2008
US
I am using Clonezilla to make an image of a computer that I have completely setup and fully updated that is running windows xp home edition. I am doing this so if there is a problem with this computer I don't have to do the full windows installation and updates, drivers and all the other stuff I would have to do. My previous experience has been to save an XP Pro maching image to another XP pro computer, which worked great and I even restored it successfully.

This time I am attempting to save the image over the network to a windows vista machine. The process starts but errors out because the destination location is has no storage space left. I can confirm this is not correct. I checked the destination computer and found the image files that were created up to this point and found a file that was exactly 2,048,000 KB. I can't help be want to blam this Vista machine for the problem because of my previous experience with XP and also because of that file that is almost exactly 2GB. Can anyone provide any insight on this issue?

How is the Vista Machine's hard drive formatted? If FAT32, then you have a single file size limit of yes 2GB. That's a limitation of the FAT32 file system.

The only way around this, is to use NTFS, or break apart the backup file to pieces of less than 2GB.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Clonezilla by default chooses to split files once they reach 2GB, so the file you saw wouldn't seem out of the ordinary. Do you only see one? If so, then it would seem like it's having trouble creating the next file in the sequence of splitting up the image.

I've used Clonezilla quite a bit to back up images to a slave drive, but I haven't yet tried over the network. If all else fails, maybe try it that way instead and manually move the image files over to the Vista workstation afterwards.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

cdogg,
I only see one file like this one, there are orher files tgat were created but they are all very small and do not appear as if they are next in the sequence. I wish I had the option of a slave drive but this computer is an all in one and I don't have the option of a USB hdd or flash drive either. I may try another destination computer entirely and see how that goes.

4GB Limit is right, I messed that up.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Does anyone know if there could be some other reason such as a permission issue or other security setting that could cause VISTA to prevent network shares getting to large or something fun like that?

I was thinking maybe you had a permissions issue of some kind, but I haven't heard of such a limitation in Vista.

Another thing you can try during the step-by-step Clonezilla wizard is choose "Expert" mode instead of "Beginner". Accept the defaults on every page except the one that refers to the "Image Splitting Threshold". By default, the value is 2000 telling it to split the image at 2 GB. I'd play with a smaller number to see if it makes any difference.

You can also try the steps in this tutorial:

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

cdogg,
I will try your suggestion because you are correct in assuming I was using beginner mode. I will report back the results.

Here is the latest information. I wasn't able to get to the two computers with a problem so here is what I did. On a computer with Windows XP, I used virtual box to setup a virtual windows vista home basic OS and shared a folder for putting images from another computer.

From a computer with windows xp I booted to a clonezilla cd and attempted to make an image to this virtualized version of vista home basic. It stoped at exactly the same point with a file that was exactly 2,048,000 KB with the same error that the disk was full. I can certify that I assigned more than enough diskspace to this virtual version of vista.

The computer I was making an image of was the same computer I mentioned above that was successful to another windows xp pro machine. Also, I attempted to make an image of same computer onto a windows 7 computer and it make a file that was exactly 2,048,000 and then proceeded to make another file without error.

My conclusion is, there has to be something with Vista Home Basic that is the problem. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Your troubleshooting has at least isolated it to a Vista environment. Are your Vista environments updated to latest patches?

cdogg,
I was able to get to the original computers and do a custom run on clonezilla and only changed the size of files to 1000 MB. This was successful and the image of the computer was created successfully. Not sure why this was happening but we are good now.

Thank you all for your information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back