Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files in /var/home/ftp/pub Auto-Deleting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2012
US
Does anyone know why my firmware files would automatically be deleted from /var/home/ftp/pub after a few minutes of copying them there? I'm trying to update the firmware on my IPSI boards, and have copied the .bin file via WinSCP to the above-mentioned folder. In the time it takes me to update about three boards, the file mysteriously vanishes from the folder, and I have to copy it back repeatedly in order to continue my update process. I found that the actual firmware upgrades aren't deleting the file, because if I copy the file to the folder and just let it sit for 15 minutes or so, it will be gone inside that time. Now, if I copy the same file to my STANDBY server in the cluster, to the same folder, it will remain intact. Is there some process running on the hot server that routinely deletes the contents of the /var/home/ftp/pub folder? My CM version is 6.0.1, and I'm running it on duplicated HP-DL360 servers.

===
Chuck Chamblee
ACSS (CM) | CTP | A+

I have never had this issue, all of my files in that directory stay there until I remove them. Maybe try to upload the firmware using the Maintenance Web Interface in a web browser. Navigate to download files and choose the IPSI firmware to upload it to the server. See if it stays when you copy the file to the server that way.

That's how I did the procedure in the beginning, using the web interface, and had the same issue. Looking through log files now, no luck yet.

===
Chuck Chamblee
ACSS (CM) | CTP | A+

Ok, additional information obtained from the /var/log/messages file... There's a "prune" process occurring every 15 minutes that deletes ANY and EVERY file placed in the /var/home/ftp/pub folder. Not sure why the pruning is running, but I will continue to research it. In the meantime, the workaround is to create another folder under the ftp folder, and copy my firmware files there for updating boards.

===
Chuck Chamblee
ACSS (CM) | CTP | A+

Scratch my previous post... the pruning affects any files under the ftp folder, even in newly-created sub folders. I'm thinking this has something to do with the MUDG (hardening process) applied to the servers by the gov't.

===
Chuck Chamblee
ACSS (CM) | CTP | A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back