Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files/Folders required to release ASP.NET Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

andegre

MIS
Oct 20, 2005
US
Hello, one of the applications that I take care of is an ASP.NET application that has around 100 web services inside it. When my build process runs, (just upgraded to VS2008 but using stand-alone program to do the build) it now creates a bin\_PublishedWebsites folder. Also, it now creates an obj\Release folder with a bunch of *.resources files.

My application only uses files that are in the bin folder, do I need to retain, or copy the obj\Release and _PubliShedWebsites folders to our app servers? Are they necessary for the application to run?

Thanks

no you do not need the obj directory, not completely sure about bin\_PublishedWebsites.
if you migrate the project to a web application instead of a website you will not get the bin\_PublishedWebsites folder. Instead the web site is compiled into one assembly. you still need the as?x files.

for future reference, this has nothing to do with c# and is better suited for forum855.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Thanks Jason (you've been answering a few of my questions lately :) )

I mis-spoke in my question, it is a combination of a web application and also web services...does that change your answer? All that is in there is a duplication of the entire project (folders and files are all duplicated, just nested under bin\_PublishedWebsites).

Thanks again!

andegre
Department of Transportation (not telling which state :))

It shouldn't. all you would need are the web files
asax, aspx, ashx, asmx, the content files (images, js) and the compiled assemblies.

maybe the published folder is created so VS can automatically copy the files from there to the destination. just guessing?

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back