Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

files .exe on web page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspectus

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
CA
Hi everyone, need some help with my web page. I some 'exe' files for slideshows. When referenced, I get a window for 'open' or 'download'. Certainly don't want this, and don't think surfers will either, this could be anything to them !! Now, how could I have these files execute without that pop-up windows. I am a beginner in this and help would and will be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless the .exe files are CGI executable files, you can't run the program on the server to show the client anything. The only choice with non-CGI executables is Download or Save.

Lee

Thanks Trollacious for the reply. How would I know if they are CGI executable ?

If you have to ask the question, they probably aren't. CGI executables only spit out HTML code, and don't run like a program on your computer. They're usually used to process data requests that would take a long time using a scripting language.

Do a search on Google for "CGI executable" if you have more questions.

Lee

Guess I will do the search then ...thank for the help.
All I know about this Apache server is that CGI is activated and uses mod_perl. Of course, it doesn't tell me much.

Thanks again

I meant to do a search to find out what an executable CGI file is. I don't think you're going to find what you have is going to work the way you want.

Lee

Thanks to Lee and Chris for the help on this matter, will try to get one of those scripts and see how it works.

Thanks once again guys !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back