Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files corrupt when I copy to them to new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

imetetsupos

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
US
I recently bought a 160Gb hard drive to add to my 100Gb hard drive (260 total). I have the new 160Gb hard drive in two partitions and all three have windows XP pro installed on them.

My problem is that whenenever I copy a file which was either captured or exported with/from Adobe Premiere from my old hard drive to the new hard drive the file becomes pink and green static. The weird thing is, if I copy this retarded file back to my old hard drive the file is usually back to its normal self. This corruption happens to NO other files I've copied (wav, mp3, various compressed video files ive download from the internet). Only these children of Premiere files corrupt and its driving me mad.

Here are the specs on the files that corrupt
720x480 pixels, video sample size: 24 bit, video compression: miroDV2avi, audo sample size:16 bit,audio format: PCM, bit rate: between 1 and 2 thousand

I understand, that XP has a problem working with this much memory, but this corruption is not a part of it (as far as i understand), the issue is that it can corrupt ANY type of file in sleep mode (which meant the file once was fine, which is not my case) and it cannot recognize past 137Gb so once it reaches that limit it just starts writing over files.

Also, the new partitions have nothing but XP pro installed on them. No other programs. Any help/suggestions would be really great.

Sorry, I have no idea why your files are corrupted but I just have to ask: Why do you have Windows XP installed 3 times, or do I misunderstand what you mean? I've never heard of doing this.
.....Gord

why did you install an operating system to a slave drive? (assuming all you did was isntall a new drive and hooked it up as a slave to your normal drive)

Your first paragraph, doesn't make sense.

What is your new drive set to (format? NTFS? FAt-32?)

The new drive was set to ntfs format. The reason why I took this convoluted route (3 os's) was simply for the sake of experimentation. I wanted to figure out the root of the file corruption and so I attempted to mimic my original drive on the new drives. It turned out that as soon as XP, premiere 6 and quicktime 6 were installed that the file could be read once again (and not pink/green static).

HOWEVER, DONT ANY OF YOU LET THIS MESS I MADE HAUNT YOU. Yesterday I started anew, removing the OS's and reformatting the new drive. After this I updated my bios and then magically everything started working. Now I have my new drive as just storage and no files are corrupting anymore. Hope I didn't confuse anybody. thanks

Good to see you fixed the problem. I think that's why you wer having problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back