Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files are read only after moved from W2K to Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
I placed some files onto the desktop of my w2k box from a win 98se laptop. I had to reload my OS on the laptop, when I moved the files back to the 98 box, I can read them but not make any changes, it says access denied. I tried unchecking the inherit permissions check box and I still get the same thing, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

what???
laptop is w98, after the reload you moved the files back from a w2k pc on the laptop running 98.
now you can´t change them, so you tried unchecking the inherit permissions check box (wich is only available on w2k, w98 supports only fat/fat32 (means share level security!).
open a dos box on the laptop, go to the folder where the files are, type attrib to see if h (hidden) s (system) or r (read only)attribute is set. if so type "attrib filename.xxx -attribute you want to change". you can use *.* as filename to do it all in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back