Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

filemon, reorgvg & AIX 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morsing

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
GB

Hi,
I've been trying to run filemon during a batch run but it buffer overruns constantly. I get between 100 and 200 million lost events and that's useless.
I've tried only to monitor lf, lv and pv and set the buffer to 1Mb but it still can't catch up.
Any ideas??

After that, I tried running reorgvg on the computer but I get a lot of:

0516-022 lmigartepp: Illegal parameter or structure value.

It's only on some LVs but on both VGs. I then tried it on five different systems, all running 5.1 on a p690. They all have the same problem but all on different LVs. The system has one defective I/O-planar but works ok. No users have noticed anything.
I've only got one non-p690 to test it on and it didn't have any problems.

The error should mean that the ODM is out of sync with the VGDA but synclvmodm and syncvg runs fine and doesn't make any differens.

So what does it mean and what do I do now??
I have never tried this one AIX 5 or a Regatta so I'm thinking that's the problem but it shouldn't be??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

C'mon, somebody must have experience with these tools.
Am I the only one here that does performance tuning??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
& p690 Technical Support

Have you tried the rest of the problem correction procedure from the manual :

Illegal parameter or structure value
Possible Causes
The Object Data Management (ODM) database was damaged, and the physical volume ID (pvid) of a disk was listed as None.

One of your Customize Device Configuration database files was damaged, and while you ran your command, the file collected some illegal parameters or structure values.

You attempted to create a logical volume with the System Management Interface Tool (SMIT), or from the command line with the mklv command. The physical volume name specified was not configured.

Procedures for Recovery
Verify that the disk is recognized by the system. From the command line, run:

lqueryvg -p hdisk# -At
Deactivate the volume group.

Use the lsvg -o command to determine if your volume group is active.

If it is active, run the varyoffvg command.

Remove the definition of the volume group from the system by using the exportvg command.

Add the definition of the volume group to the system by using the importvg command.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I've been through it all. I've checked the ODM and the disks.

What puzzles me it that this happens on four out of five partitions on to different Regattas.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
& p690 Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back