Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filemaker5.0 compatability with Windows Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

mincefish

Programmer
Sep 27, 2001
GB
I have been given a copy of a FileMaker 5.0 database, which was developed on a Mac, and then converted (At least I assume it has to be converted??) to run on a Windows Millennium machine.

I currently get error messages when updating certain fields, saying that the fields are read only. Sometimes it then proceeds to update regardless, and sometimes it won't. Sometimes I'll get the same error message 6 times in a
row, and it then doesn't update.

I have of course gone back to the developers and informed them of this problem. The developers have claimed that its a problem with Windows Millennium, and leave it at that. Being as one of the specifications for 6.0, and 5.5 Developer is that you are running Windows Millennium, how can this be?
Does anyone know whether there are any known system bugs concerning FileMaker 5.0 and Windows Millennium, and if they are fixable?
Or is this the developers copping out of making a cross-platform compatible tool?!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

The Mincefish.

Seems just one problem to me.

The developer made this on a Mac, but didn't develop the application for 'cross platform'.

The techniques are different for both platforms.

If they don't develop for use on both platforms, those boring messages will appear.

Just return to the developer and ask for a cross platform application, not a 'converted one'.

HTH

John

Thats what I thought John - I'll have to have 'words' with the developers!

Thanks again

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back