Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filem Maker Pro Multiple Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansari

Programmer
Oct 16, 2003
US
Hi.. i'm implementing a database for organizing student's information for a department in a university.. i'm required to use file maker pro.. i want to find out a few things..
firstly how good of a software is file maker to use for smaller scale usage for e.g. a department.. when its being used internally only

secondly there are two ppl in the admin who need to access the same information /databases.. now i tried setting that file that needs to be shared as the host and put a passowrd for it. .but whenever i connect and if i'm the only user it asks me to copy the file on something esle coz if i dont and i try to add a new record i cant do that.. and if i have copied the file to my hard disk i dont know how to transfer to the file that is on the network.. so now the data i have on my hard disk i cant transfer to the main file being shared...

is the problem with the network settings that doesnt allow me to make changes on the shared folder on the network..

so please if someone can let me know how we can share the file maker pro files it would be great help...

thanks
s

1. great! -as good as MS Access if not better
2.File--->Access Priviledges-->PAsswords
File-->Sharing... (o)Multi-user
3. To open this shared file from antoher machine File-->Open Remote (Ctrl+Shift+O)

for more info Hit F1--> type "sharing files" -->Read

All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back