Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File xxx is not a database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplyES

Programmer
Oct 5, 2012
GB
Experiencing a growing number of issues with a system I put in place in 2013 so I decided to start (almost) afresh. I started by copying the whole development folder to a new location (on the same PC) and have been rebuilding the forms using a new base ClassLib. I have also decided to make the step back to free tables - there were only a few fields that need to be adjusted to make this work - less than a dozen (phew!)
In the meantime, I do need to try to get the existing system running again until I can complete the rebuild. I thought all was well until I went to BUILD. The process generates an error message [File p:\figDev\Data\gbcAddr.dbf is not a database.] I'm not arguing with the statement - it's perfectly accurate! I just don't know why it thinks that particular DBF might have ambition beyond its standing. That file is in the database, I can open it/browse it from the PJX and, at least, the main form is loading data from it as expected. I have tried VALIDATE DATABASE RECOVER.

Possibly you have a statement in code somewhere like:

Code:
SET DATABASE TO gbcAddr.dbf

Greg

Taking Greg's suggestion a bit further, I would do a code references search across the entire application for every reference to gbcAddr.

Clearly, gbcAdre.DBF is a table, not a database. So you must have some code somewhere that is treating the file as if it was a database. This might be a SET DATABASE, OPEN DATABASE, MODIFY DATABASE, or anuthing similar. A code references search should pin it down.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Since your project origin is 2013 I assume we talk about a VFP9 project, but do we?

I just want to weigh in DBF stands for database file, though it always was a table before DBCs even were a thing. So it could be the error message that a legacy Foxpro version and its runtime would report for a corrupt table.

I second Mike, make use of the global search feature of VFP9 or if you use an older Foxpro IDE look for something you can use to search the whole project for how gbcAddr.dbf is used.

Chriss

Thanks, All. A useful tool which I hadn't yet discovered and can see I will use again! However, it didn't turn up anything (except sore eyes) :) This morning, though, I rebuilt the PJX from scratch and that seems to have done the trick.

Again, thanks, chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back